Monday, October 3, 2011

Broadway Cares... a lot.

When I was a Senior in High School, I was an International Thespian Officer (ITO). For those of you who don't know - the International Thespian Society (ITS) is the Honor Society for Theatre Students.  You earn your right to be inducted into the ITS through music and theatre related participation.  For example, roles in plays, musicals, volunteering, being a part of the crew, building sets, stage managing, etc.

The summer before my senior year at Southwest High School, my Theatre Director (and close friend) Bob Henrichs encouraged me to run for the International Thespian Officer Board, which is comprised of 7 students that represent all Thespians.  They also help plan and run the International Thespian Festival which occurs every summer on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus!  The ITO plans the nightly dances, run a week long leadership workshop, introduce shows and volunteer backstage along with 1,000 other various tasks.

I ran and was lucky enough to be awarded the position of 'Region II Representative.'  That was one of the best experiences of my life.  I got to represent Nebraska and my High School's Thespian Troupe all around the country.  I lead my own Leadership Workshops in Nebraska, Iowa and Georgia at their State Theatre Conventions.  I also had the pleasure of being in charge of fundraising for an organization very near and dear to my heart called "Broadway Cares/Equity Fights A.I.D.S" (BC/EFA) based out of New York City. BC/EFA is a non-profit organization that works tirelessly to aid actors and families of actors who have been infected with HIV/AIDS.  They provide a lot of education to communities and various types of support (emotional, financial, etc.) to those in need.

In the fall of 2003, my ITO board and I met with our liaisons in NYC to start the festival planning and to help raise money for BC/EFA through their annual fundraising Flea Market in Shubert Alley.  This event brings in thousands of Broadway actors, crew, admirers, stalkers (ha!) and Thespians every year to buy old signed playbills, costumes, baked goods, autographed posters, music, meet cast members and be entertained!  That summer at Festival I also facilitated a week-long game called 'Coin Wars' where at the end of the week I was proud to present a check to BC/EFA for over $5,000.00!!!

As you all know, I have been spending the last month in New York working on my own career, but was ECSTATIC when Nancy Brown (who was also student-liasion when I was an ITO) invited me to return this year to spend time with her and the current ITO's in Shubert Alley.  It was such a fun day.  I was able to reconnect again with Nancy from the Educational Theatre Association, and Joe Norton who is Director of Education at Broadway Cares.  It was so fun to be able to tell them about what I'm doing, and hear about where their lives are taking them.

That day I also had the opportunity to meet one young, eager Thespian named Henry O'Neal. Henry and I share a very special connection - he and I both have played the role of 'Region II Representative' and we are from the same High School!!  When we was deciding to run for the position, I was honored to help him write his speeches, give advice on his campaign strategies and prepare for his interview.  I was VERY proud when he called me to tell me he had also been awarded the position... and it was such a great day getting to know a little bit more about him. I also got to take him to his first viewing of 'Rent' (one of my personal favorite shows.) It is a huge honor to be an International Thespian Officer. I am still very proud to this day that I was given such an important responsibility.  I look forward to all of my Festival updates from him :)

The inaugural edition of the Flea Market in 1987 raised $12,000.  This year we raised a total of $547,658!!!! Incredible numbers.  The grand total of funds raised in the last 25 year is $9,185,327.  I can only imagine how many actors and families this money has helped.  I was so proud to have been a part of this event, and hope to be able to contribute much more in many BC/EFA flea markets to come!!

25th annual BC/EFA Flea Market in Shubert Alley :)

Cast/Crew table for WICKED the Musical - sold TONS of great memorabilia!

Telly Leung who played 'Wes' a lead Warbler on FOX's hit series 'GLEE' (P.S. to my sister in law Erin - yes, I did get to meet him, hug him and take a picture with him... the picture just isn't good enough to post on the blog! lol)

The current ITO Board:  (from left to right: CJ, John, Chase, Jackie, Wes and Henry!!)

Please go to www.broadwaycares.org or www.facebook.com/BCEFA to learn more about how you can get involved through volunteering, purchasing merchandise or making a financial contribution.  Thank you!!






No comments:

Post a Comment