Thursday, September 15, 2011

~Roots N Blues N BBQ~

Many people heavily underestimate the midwest and their involvement in the arts.  For those of you who think that there isn't anything going on - let me do you a favor and tell you about the 'Roots N Blues N BBQ Festival' that happens at the beginning of every fall in downtown Columbia, Missouri. It draws thousands of people every year and is a 2-day festival full of live music, BBQ, bars, art, bicycle rides, dancing, and some of the best people-watching opportunities ever!

I was fortunate enough to be a V.I.P. Guest of the Festival Directors (Polly and Steve Sweitzer) and their family.  Polly's sister Robin works at Lifetime Fitness in Jersey where I train, and has become a good friend of mine.  It's so nice to see a friendly face around the gym after getting my butt kicked!!  She was kind enough to invite me this past weekend, and I'm SO glad she did. I was treated extremely well.  I received chauffeuring in golf carts, backstage access, front-row viewing to music acts, free food and drinks and just pure entertainment with great company all day long.

This was the Festival's 5th year in existence and I'm sure it is just the beginning of a long-standing tradition for downtown "CoMo" (that's what the locals call Columbia.)  I felt a little sketchy being in 'Tiger Territory' - seeing as I am a true Husker Fan - but it was well worth the trip.

The performers came from all over, and it was such a great line up of artists.  Some of my favorites were: Dale Watson, Los Lobos and the up & coming Soul/Pop act from L.A. called "Fitz and the Tantrums."  I am using some of the pictures from Festival-Goers that were posted on the Facebook Fan Page (because not all of mine turned out) but to check out many more and get information on next year's festival, or even buy tickets head to any of the following links:
http://www.facebook.com/rootsnbluesnbbq
http://www.roobsnbluesnbbq.com


Photo courtesy of: Kent Durk (Festival Goer)
Check out these crowds!! I hope to be on this stage next year instead of 'Backstage' :D

Gibson Guitars Tour Bus... Dang. This is a nice one!
Picture left:  Robin Nestler (Friend who invited me)
Picture center:  Polly (Festival Director) and family/friends who came to support.
Picture right: Me, Polly and sister Robin in one of the VIP Golf Carts.

THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT WEEKEND - I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!

1 comment: